Friday, January 11, 2019

Hard Rest PC Game Review!


Rated Mature 17+
Blood and Gore
Partial Nudity
Strong Language
Violence

Mr.Beard's Review
Hard Reset
PC Game


The way I am doing these reviews is either people Suggest a game, or I find a random game to play. I play the game for an hour and the give my initial opinion. Sometimes however I do play a game a little longer. It all just depends on my mood when I'm ready to write the next post. Every time I play a game and give it my personal rating. I rate the game on 5 different personal points.
Game Play
Graphics
Music
Story
Replay Value
I'll get to each one separately and explain why I feel it gets a full star or not. Now I can get into great detail with everything about this game, but this is just a quick review of the game. If you would like to know more just let me know in the comments below. Plus I will also be posting links to some other great resources.

Well, today certainly took longer to get going then I expected. I decided today to do a PC game review. Sadly my PC is fairly old and out of date and slow on newer games. I tried three games before this game. This was a suggested game from a friend. After doing some adjustments to settings for the game I finally got it to run smooth enough to play decently. I am surprised how well things held up with no catastrophic failures on a technical end. This did turn out to be a fun game, and even though it took a while to get going, I still have too many questions, but that will be answered if I continue to play the game. So with all that being said on to the review!

Game Play
This is your basic run of the mill FPS ( First Person Shooter) style game. I have played FPS games since way back in the glory days of Sega Dreamcast. This was fun. You get health, defense, and ammo gauges. Since I have not gotten to far into the game I have no idea if there are special abilities outside of the weapons you carry. I did discover you can upgrade your weapons and gear. Maybe further into the game, you will get more weapons. Only further play will tell. I can easily see myself playing this game through to the end. I think the part I most enjoyed was the running around and blowing everything up part. They do have walls that are destructible, canisters that explode, and many things that can electrify you to death if you are not careful. They do have a few different modes of gameplay. I have not figure out yet if this is just a single player or multiplayer game. I am leaning towards a single player game only because of what I have seen in the menus. I did enjoy this game and what it has to offer, for that I gave it a full star!




Graphics
Ok, please do not judge the overall graphics from my screenshots. I am working with a low-end PC with seriously minimalized settings. I am proud that my PC still stood up and gave a great feel and smooth texture to the game. I did look up some screenshots and footage from better quality PCs for a better idea of the overall graphics. I do have to admit it looks very impressive. The overall art style is a very cyberpunk, and dark sci-fi feeling. A lot of what I have seen kind of gave me the impression of many other games I have played like Bioshock and Fallout. The cutscenes give a very cell shaded comic book style and feel that I enjoyed the most. I do try to find more games with art styles like this and enjoy the game because of it even more. I did enjoy the graphics overall even with my PC being hindered with lower settings. That is why I gave this game a full star!



Music
Well with my PC and the settings I had to use, I had to turn off the music. I did get to play with some music so I got a fairly good feel for it. The music was very dark and techno feel. The battle music was a more pumped up adrenalin feel. I won't let my lack of PC power affect my judgment for this game and the little bit of music I could hear was enjoyable and nerve-racking at the same time. It has that kind of music when your close to an enemy that it pics up and the battle is about to begin. When the music picked up I always found myself twisting and turning looking for the enemies. Maybe I should have started out on easy instead? Oh, so many deaths... For this, I gave it a full star!


Story
Well, this is a review on the first hour of gameplay so I did not get much for the story. I did, however,  look up the story plot from their main site. Yeah, I cheated ok! I admit it! I also did want to judge the game on a simple lack of gameplay because I simple just got too caught up in blowing everything up. Here is the story plot from their main site.

"The world as we know it ceased to exist. Humanity is at the verge of extinction, living in the last closed city of Bezoar. Mankind wages war against the machines controlling vast areas of what became the 'Barrens'. Machines want to control and assimilate 'The Sanctuary' a network that holds billions of digitalized human minds. Our hero, Maj. Fletcher, is a soldier of CLN - a corporation combat unit, established to protect the city. Machines are constantly assaulting the walls of Bezoar. Fletcher moves in when Bezoar's protective barrier is breached." Hard Reset Official Website

It does have a story similar to other end of the world, the machines are running things vibe that many other games have. I am looking forward to finishing out this game to see how the story plays out. Maybe when I get back to it I will play it on easy instead. For this, I will give it a full star!


















Replay Value
Now I have not been able to get that far into this game because of technical issues, personal gaming issues and just because I was to busy blowing stuff up looking for secret hiding places. Now, with that being said I do see good replay value in this game because I am one of those people who will keep replaying a game until I find all the secrets in the game. Plus there are a few different game modes to choose from. I have noticed a survival mode, but have not tried it yet. Maybe it is just a constant stream of enemies you have to take out? Maybe it is a mode where you get so very limited ammo. I am not sure just yet. I will be playing this game all the way through for the story and will eventually get to the survival mode. For this reason, I gave it a full star!



 I am glad I tried this game. I will be playing it through to the end. Mostly because I am curious about the story and do enjoy the comic style cutscenes. This game was gifted to me through Steam as a request for a review. So I do appreciate that very much and am glad I have received it. Here are some links to the main site and where you can find it on Steam. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a happy day hunting the machines!

Hard Reset Official Site

Hard Rest Steam Site

No comments:

Post a Comment