Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Master of Orion PC Game Review!

Rated ????

Mr. Beard's Review
Master of Orion
PC Game


The way I am doing these reviews is either people Suggest a game, or I find a random game to play. I play the game for an hour and give my initial opinion. Sometimes however I do play a game a little longer. It all just depends on my mood when I'm ready to write the next post. Every time I play a game and give it my personal rating. I rate the game on 5 different personal points.
Game Play
Graphics
Music
Story
Replay Value
I'll get to each one separately and explain why I feel it gets a full star or not. Now I can get into great detail with everything about this game, but this is just a quick review of the game. If you would like to know more just let me know in the comments below. Plus I will also be posting links to some other great resources.



The one thing I do have an issue with on these older games is trying to find an ESRB rating. I can never find them. Also, I am still working on the Master Of Magic Tip & Tricks. It is taking way longer than I expected. MUCH longer! I also have one started for this, and my first post for Mr. Beard Adventures in Eorzea is ready, but I will be starting that post weekly and post them on Mondays. Let's see, what else! Oh right! I also have two no parents guides to gaming ready that I need to finish today and publish! I am also starting a Top 5 Weekly list as well. Plus I have a how to make money gaming guide I am working on. So much to do an so little time! Well, that is an update of things to come. Let's get this review done!



Game Play
This is a classic old style strategy game. Build fast spread out and dominate the universe! With this game, you need to research things to develop your planet, increase your fleets development and improve your ships. You also need to be able to balance things on your planet so you can manage your ecology, research, defenses, industry and your ships being built. It takes a lot of time to make it through even the small maps. Just trying to develop your tech and your planet takes a lot of time. Let alone build a monster fleet at the same time. When it comes to developing your tech it covers everything from computers, construction, force fields, planetology, propulsion, and weapons. Again you have to find a way to balance all your tech research out so you do not fall behind with anything. For me, the strategy is simple to build fast take new planets fast and increase tech asap. I will be working on a Tips & Tricks Post for this game as well with the books too. Overall for all the things that need to be done in this game I gave it a full star!









Graphics
Again these old school graphics just hold a huge part of my heart. The character designs, the planets, and backgrounds, the ships even. It all has a very nice clean look for pixelated graphics. I wish I had the skills to develop graphics like this. To think back then they did this stuff without high-end graphics programs, and even just made them on the fly. Overall because this is my blog and I truly do love old school graphics I gave this a full star!






Music
There is opening music, special event music, and great old school sound effects. There is however one thing that does not have music that I feel is a huge part of the game. The actual playing field. The area where you are picking your planets, scouting new planets, and even in the research or shipbuilding area. None of that has music? Maybe I am missing a file or something? My disc is in pretty rough shape. Overall I do enjoy this fun old school tone style music, but because a huge part of the game lacks it I gave it half a star.





Story
The actual game did not really mention the storyline all too much. I do have my original book and this is what is in my book.
"By the beginning of the 23rd century, ten races had emerged with the technology necessary to colonize deep space. For nearly a century, population growth on all planets had outstripped planetary resources, and soon all the races were forced to expand and discover new worlds to colonize. As history has proven time and time again, unrestrained expansion inevitably leads to war. Even though each race is very different from the others, all have legends of a master race that once controlled the galaxy. It is said that the Masters left behind a world that contained marvellous secrets and powerful technology. The loremasters call it Orion and it is written in legend that he who masters Orion masters the universe. Master of Orion is a competitive game of interstellar conquest that combines exploration with conflict. You are cast as the immortal emperor who shapes the future of your race, as contact is made with the neighbouring races. Your objective is simple: control a majority of the known galaxy and eliminate all who stand in the way. As ruler you must ultimately decide the destiny of your race as you make decisions on how planetary resources are allocated, where star fleets will be deployed, which races to fight, and which races to ally with. You begin with control of your home planet, from which you can explore and colonize nearby star systems. Your first decisions will centre around the rapid development of colonies into productive worlds, what types of technology to focus on, and which star systems to colonize. However, the true challenge begins when contact is made with other races, and complex strategies must be formulated to manage diplomacy, sabotage, espionage, trade, and interstellar combat."
So I do not know if that is really useful at this point. I may end up doing a small project like I am with Mr. Beard's Adventures with some of these old school games as well. I am really enjoying doing that. Overall because I only seem to find the story in the manual I gave this half a star.




Replay Value
I know for a fact this game has tons of replay value. No matter how many times you die, and how many times you always pick the same race, you will never experience the same game. The solar system, planets, enemies and events are never the same. This leaves each and every game different. No matter how you want to play, or what approach you make, it will always be a different outcome. Overall I gave this a full star.




These older games like this truly were amazing games. They always went above what people expected out of them. Yeah, some had flaws and glitches, but look at the lengths and boundaries they pushed. I will enjoy this game for years to come still. These games to me are just that fun. Yeah, I do get bored with them after a while, but the best part is I can always come back to it, and it will feel like a new game with a sense of familiarity. I do hope you all enjoyed this review and I hope you all have a very explorative day!
Master of Orion Official Site!
Master of Orion GOG Site!

If you enjoy what I do here on this blog then please help by sharing, commenting and if you would like, check out the store with my merch! All sales go to improving my blog and finding better games to play and review!

No comments:

Post a Comment