Sunday, March 10, 2019

Diablo PC Game Review!

Rated Mature 17+
Animated Blood
Animated Violence
Gore

Mr. Beard's Review
Diablo
PC Game


The way I am doing these reviews is either people Suggest a game, or I find a random game to play. I play the game for an hour and give my initial opinion. Sometimes however I do play a game a little longer. It all just depends on my mood when I'm ready to write the next post. Every time I play a game and give it my personal rating. I rate the game on 5 different personal points.
Game Play
Graphics
Music
Story
Replay Value
I'll get to each one separately and explain why I feel it gets a full star or not. Now I can get into great detail with everything about this game, but this is just a quick review of the game. If you would like to know more just let me know in the comments below. Plus I will also be posting links to some other great resources.



Way back when I first built my very own PC I played this game. Games like this, Gauntlet legends, Baulders Gate and so many others were an amazing style of games for me. It was always the search for the best equipment that always attracted me to these games. More so than the stories or even the gameplay itself. Although a good story was always a plus. Sadly though I never really carried through with Diablo for the story. Maybe I missed out on a lot? Well, I guess the only way to find out is to get on with this review!


Game Play
First thing is first. I know this game just recently got released on GOG, and I do still have my original disc. I am not sure if it is because my disc is an original and just not patched, or what but I had a lot of issues trying to get this to work. I probably should just buy the GOG version when I have money to buy it. Anyway, this really is one of those classic dungeon crawling item search fun loving games. This is basically a top-down angled view. You navigate by clicking around the map. The hardest part is finding loot. You get a feature for a layover auto map that you can use to help you find your way around. Your character can level up different stats as you level up. You can also learn different skills and spells as well. To me, the best part is finding new and stronger equipment. Although in this version it is really hard to see the loot when it drops. Design flaw? I have also noticed if you die by a wall and drop your equipment it's gone forever. there are a few glitches that do make this game fairly rough to play, but as long as you are aware of them it can be manageable. For this, I gave it half a star. The loot drops really do get annoying to try and find.





Graphics
The graphics are rough at best. They tried to hard to make it look too realistic for the games time. I have seen many other games from before, around and during the same time as this game with a better graphics quality. I will not deny that they made a great game though. Character designs, boss and just the environments are done fairly well. For this I gave it a full star.





Music
Now I had many issues trying to get this game to work. My sound, music and even sound effects do not work at all with my game. I really should try and get the money up to buy the GOG version. Maybe then I will not have any problems. I will not hold it against the game for my issues so, for now, I will give it a full star.




Story
A group is trying to bring back the biggest and badest devil of them all and it is your job to stop them. that about sums up the story for this game. I did mention earlier that I mostly played this game just for the loot and equipment searching. Not so much the story. Here is something I found on there wiki to give you a better idea.
Setting
The setting of Diablo includes the mortal realm which is the world of Man as well as the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. After eons of war between angels and demons, the ascension of man prompted the three Lords of Hell (including Diablo himself) to seek victory through influence, prompting their exile into the mortal realm. There, they sowed chaos, distrust, and hatred among the humans of Sanctuary until a group of magi, called the Horadrim, trapped them in enchanted crystals called "Soulstones". Diablo's soulstone was buried deep in the earth and a monastery was built over the site.
Generations passed and the purpose of the monastery was forgotten. A small town named Tristram sprang up next to the monastery's ruins. When King Leoric rebuilt the monastery as a cathedral, Diablo manipulated its archbishop, Lazarus, to destroy his soulstone prison. Diablo subsequently possessed the king, sending out his knights and priests to battle against peaceful kingdoms, and then possessed the king's son, Prince Albrecht, filling the caves and catacombs beneath the cathedral with creatures formed from the young boy's nightmares.
Tristram became a town of fear and horror, where people were abducted in the night. With no king, no law, and no army left to defend them, many villagers fled.
Story
The game starts when the player's character arrives in Tristram. Several of the remaining townsfolk assist the player such as Deckard Cain the Elder. The labyrinth under the Cathedral descends from the dungeon/church to the catacombs, followed by the caves, and finally Hell itself, each with a mixture of the undead, animals, and demons. Leoric has been re-animated as the Skeleton King.
Late in the game, the hero must fight Archbishop Lazarus, and eventually Diablo himself. At the end of the game, the hero kills Diablo's mortal form. The hero then takes the Soulstone out of Diablo's forehead after which Diablo transforms into a lifeless Prince Albrecht. The hero then drives the Soulstone into his/her own forehead, and he or she contains the essence of Diablo within himself or herself. - Diablo Wiki
The story is a great story. It just felt dry and distant to me in this game. I never really had the urge to follow the story except to do the quests and get the new areas. I was just more interested in equipment hunting. I will however still give it a full star because the story is loved by many. It just never caught my attention. 




Replay Value
You can play this game online yet and still find new equipment all the time. Each time you die you need to start over. I have made so many dumb mistakes collecting a lot of stuff and just not saving. This game has some real potential for replay value. I know I have jumped back into a lot back in the day just to search for new equipment. For this, I will give it a full star.




I do enjoy jumping back into this game again but it is not a game I can spend lots of time playing. It is the whole thing with the loot and several other small glitches that just annoy me and I end up taking a long break from it. I do hope you all enjoyed this review and find yourself a gem of a day!

If you enjoy what I do here on this blog then please help by sharing, commenting and if you would like, check out the store with my merch! All sales go to improving my blog and finding better games to play and review!

No comments:

Post a Comment