Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Command and Conquer Red Alert PC Review!

Rated Teen
Realistic Violence

Mr. Beard's Review
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
PC Game


The way I am doing these reviews is either people Suggest a game, or I find a random game to play. I play the game for an hour and give my initial opinion. Sometimes however I do play a game a little longer. It all just depends on my mood when I'm ready to write the next post. Every time I play a game and give it my personal rating. I rate the game on 5 different personal points.
Game Play
Graphics
Music
Story
Replay Value
I'll get to each one separately and explain why I feel it gets a full star or not. Now I can get into great detail with everything about this game, but this is just a quick review of the game. If you would like to know more just let me know in the comments below. Plus I will also be posting links to some other great resources.

I do have a few of these Command and Conquer games, and I do love these game a lot. This is the only one I can get working at the present time. I will be working to find the patches or programs I need to run them properly and make some reviews for them as well. So let's just jump right into this review!


Game Play
This is a top-down Real Time Strategy (RTS) game. These games are designed to make you manage resources like Tiberian in the game and build your base. Your best bet is to learn how to manage defense and offensive tactics at the same time. Or you can go full out offensive, or sit back and take the hits while you build. For me, it just depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I rush and go full out attacking, and other times I just sit back and build the biggest base I can. Either way, you can make your strategy work as long as you can manage it. In Command and Conquer Red Alert, it is the Allies vs the Soviets. They have a campaign mode for each side plus a multiplayer skirmish mode that puts your skills to the test against up to seven computer opponents. You also get to choose the difficulty level as well. In the Skirmish mode, you can also choose your team from Russians, Germans, England, Ukraine, and France. There is a lot of fun to this game and a lot of strategies involved. for that, I gave this a full star.






Graphics
The graphics for its time and style of play were very good. These graphics were fairly realistic for its time. The one thing you need to be careful of in some of these missions is how the game hides soldiers behind trees. If you can manage to play against a friend you can, in turn, do the same to them as well. A well-placed soldier or Commando could change an entire game. The graphics have been improved greatly from the original game, but yet still keeps that classic old school feel. For that, I gave this game a full star for graphics.






Music
Ok, so I do have a small place in my head where I do enjoy listening to a lot of different songs from the Command and Conquer series. The music in this game has very techno, and trance style feels to it. Almost a bit of ambient electric style as well. When I got the Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun series, I got the collectors edition that came with the soundtrack. I had a portable CD player at the time that I used to listen to it. There just is something about the music that I just can not quite put my finger on. It does not give any actual feel to the game, or progress the story along. It just simply is. For that, I gave this a full star.


Story
As far as the story goes the basics are it is a technological war. One that involves time travel and some historical references and twisted timelines. I do believe this is the game where Kane gets his start. Now please do not quote me on that as it has been so long since I have actually played these games and mostly forgot the main storyline involved. I did, however, do you all the favor of getting the plot for you.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert takes place in a parallel universe. At the Trinity Site in New Mexico in 1946, Albert Einstein prepares to travel backward in spacetime. He activates his experimental time machine to find himself in Landsberg, Germany, on 20 December 1924, where he meets a young Adolf Hitler just after the latter's release from Landsberg Prison. Following a brief conversation between the two, Einstein shakes Hitler's hand, which erases him from the timeline.
Hitler's death prevents him from rising to power as leader of Nazi Germany, which creates a new timeline. Without Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union grows powerful under the rule of Joseph Stalin. The USSR seizes land from China and then invades Eastern Europe, to achieve Joseph Stalin's vision of a Soviet Union stretching across the entire Eurasian landmass. In response, the U.S. and the countries of Europe form the Allied Nations start a guerrilla war against the invading Soviet Army. Over the course of the game's story, the Allies and Soviets fight for control over the European mainland in an alternate World War II.
Allied ending: Following the siege of Moscow, an Allied platoon discovers Stalin buried alive in the rubble of the Kremlin. Before they begin to remove the debris from the fallen leader, General Stavros stops them. He convinces them that they saw nothing and orders them to leave the premises. Stavros then stuffs a handkerchief down Stalin's mouth before covering his head with a large stone and walking away.
Soviet ending: As the Soviets celebrate their victory in the newly captured Buckingham Palace, Stalin commends the Commander (the player), but is poisoned by Nadia, who guns him down as the poison overcomes his body. Following Stalin's death, Nadia tells the Commander that the Soviet Union is now under the rule of the Brotherhood of Nod, who plans to return to the shadows again and reemerge in the 1990s, leaving the player as the puppet ruler of the USSR, ready to do the Brotherhood's bidding for "the foreseeable future." She is betrayed and shot in the back by Kane, who reveals himself to be the true mastermind. - C&C Red Alert Wiki
I know the story really evolves very well through the whole series. It also has a few different side stories and games as well. They even have an FPS version for the Command and Conquer game as well. So there is a long history and a well-kept story. So for that, I will give it a full star.



Replay Value
There is a lot of replay value still in this game. There is a site where many people still play these games actively online and against each other. I still do enjoy running through the missions and trying to beat my previous scores, as well as playing the skirmish missions too. I still do enjoy taking on multiple enemies on a hard level. Nothing like a good challenge to wake you up in the morning. Overall I gave this a full star.




I know for me I will continue to play this game for a long time to come. Right now you can find this game in the C&C Ultimate Edition. You can find it as Abandonware, but please be careful where you download it from. You can also download the online skirmishes from C&CNet. I need to work on getting the money together so I can get this Ultimate collection so I can do full reviews, walk throughs and more. All in time though! I do hope you all enjoyed this review and have yourselves a fantastic day!
C&C Net
Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection

If you enjoy what I do here on this blog then please help by sharing, commenting and if you would like, check out the store with my merch! All sales go to improving my blog and finding better games to play and review!

No comments:

Post a Comment