Monday, March 4, 2019

Master Of Magic PC Game Review!

Rated ????

Mr. Beard's Review
Master of Magic
PC Game


The way I am doing these reviews is either people Suggest a game, or I find a random game to play. I play the game for an hour and give my initial opinion. Sometimes however I do play a game a little longer. It all just depends on my mood when I'm ready to write the next post. Every time I play a game and give it my personal rating. I rate the game on 5 different personal points.
Game Play
Graphics
Music
Story
Replay Value
I'll get to each one separately and explain why I feel it gets a full star or not. Now I can get into great detail with everything about this game, but this is just a quick review of the game. If you would like to know more just let me know in the comments below. Plus I will also be posting links to some other great resources.



This game is a blast from the past! I have played this before and still own my original books and CD! I will do this initial review and also be posting a tips and tricks page and even try to scan the books in for reference material as well. Games like these are what got me into gaming for the games and stories. I do not know why I ever thought I could be a wizard and rule a kingdom, and this game gave that chance. So let's embark onto the review!


Game Play
There is a lot packed into this old time strategy game. You can pick from premade wizards or create your very own custom wizard. Each time you play this game will be different. the maps are never the same. As you learn new spells and advance your kingdom you can recruit or even summon heroes. You can also summon monsters to aid your power in your army. Even when you get powerful enough you can summon great artifact weapons and armor to outfit your heroes with. It all depends on how you want your wizard to grow. I will be covering more of everything you can do in this game in the Tips & Tricks post that I should hope to finish soon. Overall for the gameplay, I gave this a solid full star!





Graphics
These are old graphics. these were the very foundation of what I grew to love in video games. These old pixelated graphics still out way newer more realistic graphics in my opinion. I do believe these are 16-bit or 32-bit graphics? I am not 100% sure. The little cut scenes and animations are simply amazing as they are especially for their time. Backgrounds, environment, character and even monster designs are well within a good area as well. The pixel graphics in these game are what drive my art style in my own games! Overall I do enjoy the nostalgia and feel of these graphics so I gave them a full star.


Music
The music is literally what you can expect from these style games. The music has a dark still ambiance to it as you get the sense of a mystical fantasy is brewing. The music is very subtle and mood driving for me and as well as a bit of a fantasy vibe to it. There is victory and event music that is happy and very noticeable as well. Overall it is enjoyable and gives to that classic all school feel. I gave it a full star!



Story
Now I am not 100% sure if there was an actual story or if it was simply just something implied. I do know that you are a wizard trying to defeat the other wizards. In the opening cutscene, you see a fight between two wizards. Since this game is so old I have no way to actually get a hold of the original developers. This is what I found on the wiki though.
"Master of Magic takes place across two worlds, Arcanus and Myrror. Arcanus is a land much like our Earth, with climatic zones and varied terrain like forests, oceans, grasslands and deserts. Myrror is a parallel world to Arcanus, featuring heavier magic use and fantastic flora, minerals and fauna not found on Arcanus. The two worlds are physically linked to each other by special portals called Towers of Wizardry, allowing units to travel between worlds.
Magic nodes - which are valuable sources of magical power - are scattered throughout both worlds. The worlds are populated by traditional fantasy races like elves and halflings, plus races which were introduced early to gaming via Simtex's games, like the insectoid Klackons." - Master of Magic Wiki
That really does not tell me too much about the game either though. As long as I have played this game I do not think I have ever been able to beat it either so I really do not know if there is an actual story or just an implied sense of beat all the other wizards. For this, I will only be giving it half a star.



Replay Value
Oh, I know for a fact that this game has a ton of replay value. I have been playing it since the 90s. Every time you start a new game the map is different and depending on how you choose to develop your wizard each gameplay will be completely different. No two gameplays are the same. Between all the variations and different styles to play your wizard as this game can bring loads of gameplay for years to come. That is why I gave this a full star.



I know I always do new games I have not played before. Something has been nagging at me for a little while now since I started this blog. MBRTV has always been about old school games and bringing back the nostalgia and real games. I have always tried to bring back unnoticed games, and even games that were popular for their time. Since I started doing the mobile games and newer games review I felt like MBRTV disappeared. So I will also be doing all the old school games as well now. Not just new games. I will still be doing them all the same way though. This is one of those amazing games that I feel just did not get enough recognition for what it was. The gameplay was solid, fun and very in depth. I am still learning new things in this game. I will also be working on the tips and tricks for this as well as trying to get these books scan and posted too. I do hope you all enjoyed the review, and have yourselves a magical day!
Master of Magic on GOG
Master of Magic Wiki

If you enjoy what I do here on this blog then please help by sharing, commenting and if you would like, check out the store with my merch! All sales go to improving my blog and finding better games to play and review!

No comments:

Post a Comment